For Netscape Communicator Users
ULS uses Smart Update technology for the Netscape Communicator web browser to improve the speed and performance of online
filing. When you click on any of the ULS/ASR links, Netscape will be triggered to check it has the latest, most efficient
versions of key files used to access ULS and ASR. These file versions are updated approximately once every two months. Here
is how it works:
- Your browser will automatically perform a check for the latest versions of these files on your system.
- If an upgrade is needed, then ULS will download the updated files to your web browser's directory. A window, signed by the
FCC, will ask you to Grant or Deny permission for this download. Click Grant to continue.
- The download may take a few minutes, during which time you will see a dialog box showing the progress of the file transfer.
Once the download is complete, you will be prompted to close the window and restart your browser. Note: You do not need to disconnect your Internet connection.
- After restarting your browser, use ULS to file applications as you have done in the past. You will probably notice significant
increases in system speed.
Important information regarding use of Smart Update:
- You will need 3 MB free disk space on your hard drive.
- The Smart Update process only works with Netscape Communicator running on the Windows 95, 98, or NT operating systems.
- The file download only happens once after detecting the need for an update. If you disconnect from ULS and reconnect at a
later time, the system will not perform the download again.